Category Archives: Anglesey
The A55 has been closed today due to severe flooding at Llanfairfechan and Talybont. Anglesey has been cut off by road.
— PC Scott Martin (@NWPScottMartin) December 26, 2015
— Lynne Louise (@LynneHennessey1) December 26, 2015
— christine drury (@marinecourt) December 26, 2015
— Alan (@Downesegg) December 26, 2015
— Dave Vickers (@DaveVickers9) December 26, 2015
— Ian Evans (@ian07_bobafett) December 26, 2015
A55 near Tal y Bont still submurged! ©Gerallt Jones pic.twitter.com/XFFKgr7sHN
— Gerallt Jones (@gerallttv) December 26, 2015
There are more videos and interviews about the devastation caused by today’s weather here.
The Anglesey Section of the A55 is the most recently built. It was completed in 2001 after a 27 month build.
In early 1999, UK Highways A55 Ltd, a subsidiary of UK Highways Ltd, in which Laing holds the majority stake, won the concession to build, operate and maintain the A55 trunk road across the Island of Anglesey, off North Wales. The new road is a dual carriageway 32 km in length. The project was valued at £101m.
The bid included building the new 32km of the road, 12km of maintenance of the A5 and the maintenance of the two Menai Bridges.
Laing earns significant amounts from the road. £16million a year is generated from ‘shadow tolls’ from the road (based on the number of vehicles using the road). By December 2028 (when the contract ends) it is estimated that the company will earn £400million.
Concerns have been raised by residents who argue that the faster road has taken away business from them when drivers had to use the A5 previously.
The route is a very clear run across the island which crosses the water onto Holyhead via a new bridge which runs parallel to the A5 bridge.
RAF Valley is a Royal Air Force Station on Anglesey. Although it’s hard to spot it whilst driving, you might spot or hear several jets flying over the island and North-West Wales.
The airfield was constructed during World War Two in 1940 and opened for operations on 1 February 1941 as a Fighter Sector Station with the task of providing defence cover for England’s industrial north-west and shipping in the Irish Sea.
After the war, during 1950 many improvements were made to the hangars and buildings at Valley and on 1 April 1951 training commenced for fighter pilots on Vampire and Meteor jet aircraft.
These days, RAF Valley is also home to a squadron of Sea King helicopters. These are busy in the Search and Rescue role, rescuing people from ships in the Irish Sea, from the mountains of nearby Snowdonia and elsewhere. The mountain rescue work in Snowdonia is coordinated with the constituent teams of the North Wales Mountain Rescue Association. HRH The Duke of Cambridge, second-in-line to t
he British Throne, was assigned to C Flight, 22 Squadron at RAF Valley, as a pilot flying the Sea King search and rescue helicopter. He finished his last shift as a pilot on Tuesday 10 September 2013.
Anglsey Airport opened in 2007. This is an airport owned by the Isle of Anglesey County Council on land leased from the Defence Infrastructure Organisation. The airport
is situated at Llanfair yn Neubwll on the Isle of Anglesey, Wales. The leased site is part of RAF Valley, an RAF station teaching RAF pilots using BAE Hawks. The Airport is operated on the County Council’s behalf by Citywing.
Plans put forward in early 2006 by the National Assembly for Wales have led to a subsidised weekday air service between the airport and Cardiff Airport, 12 miles west of the Welsh capital in the hope of improving the economy of Anglesey and North Wales in general. The twice daily service began in May 2007.
For residents of Anglesey, the air service is significantly quicker than surface transport. Gate-to-gate travel time to Cardiff is around 1 hour.
Ynys Gored Goch is a small island in the Menai Strait which can be clearly seen from the Britannia Bridge which crosses the water from the mainland to Anglesey. On the island you will see a white house and a converted smoke house where fish (whitebait) were smoked. Access to the island is only by boat.
Due to its location between the two Menai bridges, the house and island frequently appear on photographs of the Menai Strait.