|« Aug||Oct »|
As you drive past Broughton you will see the top of the Airbus Factory next to the Retail Park. It is situated at Hawarden Airport which is, in fact, in Broughton.
The aircraft factory was established during WW2 where it build almost 6,000 plans. After the way the factory was used to build prefab bungalows. The factory then returned to its main use of building aircraft.
It because part of British Aerospace in the 1970s and the factory is now owned by Airbus. Wings for all models of Airbus commercial aircraft are produced here.
No public scheduled passenger flights fly from the airport. Most flights relate to the Airbus Factory. Some privately owned light aircraft are based at Hawarden. Police aircraft also operate from here.
Bodelwyddan Castle and Park, close to the village of Bodelwyddan, near Rhyl, Denbighshire, was built around 1460 by the Humphreys family of Anglesey as a manor house. Its most important association was with the Williams-Wynn family, which extended for around 200 years from 1690. It is now a Grade II Listed Building.
The castle was bought from the Humphreys by Sir William Williams, the House of Commons Speaker from 1680 to 1681. The castle was reconstructed between 1830 and 1832 by Sir John Hay Williams. Further refurbishment work was carried out in the 1880s by Sir Herbert, 7th Baronet, who inherited Bodelwyddan Castle from his heirless cousin.By the First World War the house had become a recuperation hospital for wounded soldiers.
By 1920, the cost of maintaining the castle and estate had grown too burdensome, and the Williams-Wynn family leased Bodelwyddlan to Lowther College, a girls private school. The school is thought to be one of the first private schools for girls to have its own swimming pool. It also had a private golf course. The Lowther College Tableaux were well regarded within the community for their musical excellence. Boys were admitted from 1977. The school closed in 1982 due to financial problems.
In the 1980s, the site was bought by Clywd County Council with the aim of developing the castle as a visitor attraction. Partnerships were formed with several prominent museums and art galleries, such as the National Portrait Gallery, so that the castle could be used to display objects from these collections. In order to house these items, the interior of the castle was restored.
Part of the site was leased in 1994 for development into a luxury hotel, Bodelwyddan Castle Hotel, and this use remains today. The historic house and grounds are not part of the hotel but are managed by an independent trust and are open to the public.
The castle has legends of several ghosts and the site has featured on the Most Haunted TV show.
The castle is available to hire for weddings!
The castle is virtually opposite the Marble Church on the A55.